Claerwen and Elan Valley
The Elan Valley and Claerwen Valley are two stunning areas located in mid-Wales. Both valleys are known for their beautiful scenery, abundant wildlife, and opportunities for outdoor activities. Here’s what you need to know about each valley:
Elan Valley: The Elan Valley is a series of reservoirs and dams that were built in the late 19th and early 20th century to supply water to the city of Birmingham. Today, the Elan Valley is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts, with a variety of activities available. Here are some highlights of the Elan Valley:
- Scenery: The Elan Valley is known for its beautiful scenery, with rolling hills, lush forests, and several picturesque reservoirs. The area is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including red kites, otters, and various species of fish.
- Walking: There are several walking routes available in the Elan Valley, ranging from gentle strolls to more challenging hikes. The Elan Valley Trail is a popular route that takes you through the heart of the valley, passing by several of the reservoirs.
- Cycling: The Elan Valley is also popular among cyclists, with several cycling routes available. The Elan Valley Trail is a multi-use route that’s suitable for both walkers and cyclists, and there are several other more challenging routes available for experienced mountain bikers.
- Fishing: The reservoirs in the Elan Valley are popular among fishermen, with opportunities to catch brown and rainbow trout. Fishing permits are available from local shops and online.
Claerwen Valley: The Claerwen Valley is located just north of the Elan Valley, and offers a more rugged and remote landscape. Here are some highlights of the Claerwen Valley:
- Scenery: The Claerwen Valley offers stunning views of rugged mountains and rolling hills, and is home to several picturesque reservoirs. The area is also home to a variety of wildlife, including red kites, otters, and various species of fish.
- Walking: There are several walking routes available in the Claerwen Valley, ranging from gentle strolls to more challenging hikes. The Claerwen Dam Walk is a popular circular route that takes you around the Claerwen Dam, offering stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Mountain Biking: The Claerwen Valley is also popular among mountain bikers, with several challenging routes available. The Cwmystwyth trail is a popular route for experienced mountain bikers, with technical sections and challenging terrain.
Overall, whether you prefer walking, cycling, fishing, or mountain biking, both the Elan Valley and Claerwen Valley offer plenty of opportunities to explore the stunning Welsh countryside. Just be sure to follow local rules and regulations, and respect the environment while you’re enjoying these fantastic activities.
The 6 dams designed to supply water to Birmingham are undoubtedly the biggest draw to tourism in Rhayader, the Elan Valley and the Cambrian Mountains.
The Elan Valley reservoirs are surrounded by beautiful backdrops and historical landmarks, telling the story of the magnificent engineering methods used. Along the side of the reservoirs is the Elan Valley Trail, a particular favorite with its surfaced paths which follow the route of the old Elan Valley Railway. It is for use by walkers, horse riders and cyclists and suitable for pushchairs and wheelchairs. If you are more adventurous, you could not pick a better location for mountain biking in Wales. Hire bikes with us now, and have it waiting for you in the Elan Valley on the day you select.
There is open access over most of the 70 square mile Estate, and there are over 80 miles of designated rights of way. There are many walks and trails with a good mixture of lengths to cater for all, including nature trails and scenic walks. A popular place for fly fishing in Wales, the Elan Valley caters for all. After you visit, you can go back to Rhayader and relax in one of our self catering apartments and make Mid Wales memories.
Contractors Accommodation Deals
Contractor accommodation deals in Mid Wales. Can sleep over 30. With 24 individual beds and 13 rooms. Mid Week deals available.Get the deal
5% off any 3 night stay or more if you have a blue light card throughout 2023
5% off any 3 night stay or more if you have a blue light card throughout 2023.Get the deal
25% OFF AFONWY BOOKINGS IF YOU STAY IN OCTOBER 2023
25% OFF AFONWY BOOKINGS IF YOU STAY IN OCTOBER 2023Get the deal